I have a few pairs of jeans that are comfortable and still have life, but they are worn thin on the upper leg area, so I decided to give "extreme mending" a go. This is where you make very obvious patches and use embroidery or darning techniques to strengthen and decorate the area. I think mine may have slid into the area of "altered couture" but that's okay. It was great fun and quite relaxing to do while watching t.v. The only downside is that every time I look at them, I think of the old song, "Cover of the Rolling Stone"......."I gotta freaky old lady name of "Cocaine Katy" who embroiders all my jeans. I got my poor ol' grey-haired daddy drivin' my limousine."
I seem to be doing this blog action in fits and starts. Since I began this mainly for myself, so I could keep a log of my many projects, it isn't necessary for anyone else to read it in order for it to still be important for me to keep it up. So with that said, on to what I've been doing.
Since the last post, I did make several linen gauze skirts, and three tops. The tops have all been altered from things that already existed. When I get a chance, I will come back and edit this to include photos. I'm so far behind!
I was busy from July right up to Dec.23 making jams, candied nuts and other goodies for Christmas gifting. This list included peach jam, peach salsa, caramelized onion relish, cantaloupe jam, sugared pecans, sweet and salty pecans, peanut butter granola and walnut topping. I've sent these as far away as Texas and Florida to my daughters, and also given much to my son and DIL here in town, and my brother and sis-in-law. Everyone seemed totally pleased with their gifts, so it was worth it, but it WAS a lot of work and certainly expensive to ship. The local ones also received homemade vanilla extract, which was SO easy and delightful.
There were only two crafted or sewn items done for gifts this year. I found a method for making baskets on the sewing machine using cotton clothesline and they turned out really nicely. I used turmeric for a natural dye done in a variegated fashion and so I got a lovely design of yellow and white. Next time I'd like to try some with fabric or acrylic paint done before the sewing and then maybe some with some fabric bits incorporated. There are several tutorials available online for this, but I used the technique demonstrated in my current favorite magazine, "Taproot" in their Folk issue. I will also try to come back with photos of this.
Another project completed since my last post was my daughter's Halloween costume. She wanted to be "Disgust" from Disney's "Inside Out" movie, so I found a simple A line dress pattern and made it in a green poly satin on which I embroidered stylized flowers in a straight stitch. I only went to this trouble because 1) we couldn't find any fabric with a similar design, and 2) I tried several methods of fabric painting and nothing worked well on the nasty satin. This is way more effort than I'd usually spend on a costume, but I just sewed while I watched t.v., so it was okay. I made a pink sparkly scarf and a blinged up stretchy belt with a D on it. I took a little artistic license with the belt, but most people would not know the difference. Anyhow, she enjoyed wearing it. Here she is!
I think that about does it for catching up.....I have continued with my art work, though not as much, since I was so busy with other things. I spent a lot of time working in a coloring book in late summer while we were at the campground. It was SO relaxing and since it mimics the kind of art I do anyway, it just took away the ink part of my projects and left me with the coloring details. It was just what I needed at the time.
Added 2/18/2016: I still have not photo'd the skirts and tops, but I'm going to let this post go and move on. Got new things to talk about.